Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Postscript to Bagels

 




Before their bath, the separate round balls of dough made after punching down the risen bulk are formed into bagels. I am revisiting the bagel-making because I was asked a question the other day: do I subject them to a lye bath? My answer is no. How, then, do I achieve a shiny and nicely browned bagel? Two ways: 


1. Add sugar to their bath water before popping them in (above).


2. After their bath, brush them with beaten egg white before adding any toppings. An added benefit is that the egg white helps toppings stick, and if you are topping your bagels with expensive organic sesame or poppy seeds, you don't want to lose them.



To my eye, the finished bagel is beautifully shiny and browned, but if you want to use the lye method, that's your choice.








2 comments:

  1. Dawn, my sister made focaccia today for the first time, and it sounded like a lot more work than bagels!

    ReplyDelete